Recently Strictly Coffee has made some changes at our shop in Robertson, we have introduced the AeroPress as an alternate coffee making solution. The customers love the new brew and here are some reasons why:
There are several reasons why AeroPress coffee tastes so good:
• Total immersion of the grounds in the water results in rapid yet robust extraction of flavor.
• Total immersion permits extraction at a moderate temperature, resulting in a smoother brew.
• Air pressure shortens filtering time to 20 seconds. This avoids the bitterness of long
processes such as drip brewing.
• The air pressure also gently squeezes the last goodness from the grounds, further enriching the flavor.
• Because of the lower temperature and short brew time, the acid level of the brew is much lower than conventional brewers. Laboratory pH testing measured AeroPress brew’s acid as less than one fifth that of regular drip brew. The low acid is confirmed by coffee lovers who report that AeroPress brew is
friendlier to their stomachs.
Comparison with other brewing methods:
Drip brewing passes water through a bed of grounds. When the water first drips into the bed, it is too hot and bitterness is extracted. As the water filters downward through the bed, it becomes too cool and extraction is weak. The water doesn’t contact all of the grounds uniformly. Grounds at the edge of the bed are under-extracted while grounds at the center are over- extracted and contribute bitterness.
Total immersion of the grounds in the AeroPress completely solves these problems. All of the grounds contact the same water temperature, and the brewing process is short and sweet. The gentle air pressure of the AeroPress also extracts extra flavor from the coffee. Ordinary drip brewers leave a lot of flavor in their soggy grounds.
The drip method cannot make a robust single cup because the small amount of water doesn’t heat the bed enough for rich extraction. It is also slow. AeroPress makes one to four servings with a single pressing in less than a minute. The flavor is equally rich for any number of cups.
Next time you’re in Robertson, why not pop into Strictly Coffee and try our new Aeropress coffee for yourself, we would love to hear your feedback.